My two cents ...

John and Matt are offering sound "best practices advice" for installing
a cacheing only DNS on your Windows 2000.  It's dead easy, and you'll
find that your queries to find mail servers and RBL answers are faster.

"Cacheing only" means that this DNS service on your Imail server won't
be responsible for serving up any zones, so you don't need to worry
about messing that up.

If you're worried about the bad guys (of course!), you can easily
configure the service to only accept queries from your internal machines
by IP, and/or use your firewall to block inbound queries.

I tested using the nameserver you cited to look up ucancap.org and found
that it could timeout, but once I got the record, it would be cached for
24 hours.

I found that the reply came by UDP, was less than 512 bytes, and nicely
included the IP address of the MX host along with the MX record.

I noted that, at least from my network, I had really good tracert times
(but they block ICMP).

Their mailhost is slow to respond; reaching them, I see that their HELO
greeting is "barracuda.ucancap.org" so I'd have to wonder how long
they've had an antispam device from barracuda.com in front of their real
mail host, and is this when you stopped being able to send them mail?

I just did some nslookup tests using ns1.dnswizards.com and also
ns2.dnswizards.com and get hinky results, with ridiculous timeouts.  I'd
suggest that if nothing else, you stop using them for your DNS queries!

Andrew 8)