| Network card ID - apparently this is definitely a unique Serial
| number but it requires a network card in the PC

Are you talking about the MAC address?  I so, this is no longer unique (well
it must be within any one network of course) because many of the clone cards
allow the MAC address to be changed.

| Hardware Dongle - expensive

Not really - in the range of $15-30 in quantity.  We bring them in from
Aladdin for the security software that we sell in most countries but lease
in the USA.  Aladdin are most helpful to deal with too.

The bottom line is of course, a bit of time and a good debugger and anything
can be broken.