> | Network card ID - apparently this is definitely a unique Serial
> | number but it requires a network card in the PC
>
> Are you talking about the MAC address?  I so, this is no longer unique (well
> it must be within any one network of course) because many of the clone cards
> allow the MAC address to be changed.

Yes, the unique network ID. The idea came up in discussion on this group last
year, I discounted it because few of my target market PCs was networked.

> | Hardware Dongle - expensive
>
> Not really - in the range of $15-30 in quantity.  We bring them in from
> Aladdin for the security software that we sell in most countries but lease
> in the USA.  Aladdin are most helpful to deal with too.

Thanks for clearing up my assumption. The catch is the 'in quantity' bit though,
for speculative ventures the hard disk ID is a valid copy protect scheme. Do you
onsell dongles to developers?