--- Leo Ramakers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >...the hard disk ID is a valid copy protect scheme.
> >
> > If I buy a new hard-disk, will your software stop working?
> > Will I have to reinstall it, or would I have to get a new key from
> you?
>
> assuming you are replacing the hard drive that hosted the software,
> of course you will have to reinstall the software

It needed be "of course". Personally I prefer applications that just
give me an executable I can run. Makes life easier when the registry
gets hosed too :-)

> and yes you will have to get a new key from me.

That's not going to be much fun. Especially if you disappear and I'm
left with software that no longer works.

> I dont figure that the average consumer will encounter this
> loop, and I figure that the consumer is expecting a lot of work
> reinstalling his system on the new drive anyway.

If I took my old machine into a PC shop they'd clone the old disk over
to the new disk without much trouble. They wouldn't need to reinstall
everything.

> I am not useful to the consumer if I went broke because my software
> got greycopied.

"greycopied" ?

> > These things would bug me, as a consumer.
>
> How often do you or you clients replace hard drives?

About every 18 months to 2 years.

Cheers,
Kerry S
===
-- Systems Engineer, Inprise NZ. [EMAIL PROTECTED]