Peter

Like you I have long been programming DOS apps in Turbo Pascal but also
windows apps in Delphi.

I STRONGLY recommend getting your head around OOP as it makes life
simpler,more predictable and much, much more fun. (Also reduces bugs and
makes logical error much easier to find blah blah etc etc ...)

As far as translating a DOS app to Windows 2000 / XP your main issues will
be with I/O - if you have any direct access to serial ports etc you may have
some problems - best to rewrite using Delphi components if available. Also
if you have real time considerations then you will need to bone up on
threads etc and how well you can rely on Windows to be there when it should
be.
I am starting to consider the needs of embedded systems with a GUI front end
and I am currently tending to Linux / Kylix as a possible solution to real
time issues etc. Note that the OS is free and there are a number of real
time adaptations available ( some also free) . All in all a big learning
curve however you decide to approach the issue :-( (could be fun tho')

Hope this helps a little.

Luck

Paul Lowman

Lowman Consulting Ltd.