I have heard a lot of complaints regarding later versions of Delphi. Let me
assure you that EVERY language has problems. I still use Delphi 7 at home
and in my last job I used Delphi 2007 and was very happy with it. Even
Delphi 7 has some minor problems that we forget are there due to the fact
that we all know them and work around them.

I've been looking at several different languages and recently spoke of
languages in my blog at http://stevepeacocke.blogspot.com/

I have stated several times in my various blog posts that "I have been
involved in many varied software development projects using many languages
and development environments. I can tell you from experience that 3 to 4
good Delphi developers can totally outperform 30 to 40 Java developers on a
similar sized project by a factor of several months".

However, I also note that the demise of Delphi over a period where, (in
http://stevepeacocke.blogspot.com/2007/07/delphipascal-through-ages.html), I
noted that "...companies left Borland, and as Borland lost interest in
Delphi".

I'd also be interested to know of "new" developments being made using
Delphi. I know of a development shop on the North Shore using Delphi. Any
others?

Here, at the place I work as Development Manager, we all wear the official
"Oracle" Robes and suggesting Delphi as a language would cause mass
hypertension and fainting. We are currently looking at a new development
environment here (was Oracle Forms) and are seriously looking at either:
Oracle's JDeveloper; Ruby on Rails (not Oracle, but operating against an
Oracle database where most of the application coding is done); or a .NET
language like C#.

We're very impressed so far with Ruby on Rails for sheer productivity, but
the jury is still out.

Steve Peacocke
Software Development Manager
InSoft.