Jeremy:

> Separate Ansi and Unicode VCLs are not a viable solution.

Straw man argument (but incidentally, do you believe separate Windows
specific and X-Platform VCL's *ARE* a viable solution?  hmmmm...?)  ;)

And incidentally I for one never advocated dual ANSI/Wide VCL's... some
people seem to think that was the only other option, but I believe they are
mistaken.

If you read my blog you would know that because I've explained my view on
this before (for some reason people seem to prefer to come up with their own
ideas about what I think).

;)

With a bit of thought I believe the VCL could have "gone Unicode" without
requiring that application code be dragged along with it.  Delphi did it
before with String -> LongString... the Delphi 2.0 VCL went unilaterally
LongString but left applications with the choice.

Before dismissing the notion out of hand, consider that what you (and
Embarcadero) suggest in search/replacing String for ANSIString and Char to
ANSIChar etc is essentially exactly what a project "String > ANSIString" vs
"String > UnicodeString" compiler switch would have achieved (search your
feelings... you know it's -almost- true), except that a compiler switch
would have made it easier to apply (and change) across a project!