On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Jolyon Smith <jsm...@deltics.co.nz> wrote:
> Jeremy:
>
>> Separate Ansi and Unicode VCLs are not a viable solution.
>
> Straw man argument (but incidentally, do you believe separate Windows
> specific and X-Platform VCL's *ARE* a viable solution?  hmmmm...?)  ;)

Have never made public my opinion on this direction.
I do my iPhone programming in Objective-C and my .NET programming in C# though.

> And incidentally I for one never advocated dual ANSI/Wide VCL's... some
> people seem to think that was the only other option, but I believe they are
> mistaken.
>
> If you read my blog you would know that because I've explained my view on
> this before (for some reason people seem to prefer to come up with their own
> ideas about what I think).
>
> ;)

Don't flatter yourself. I don't really care what you think at all ;-)

> With a bit of thought I believe the VCL could have "gone Unicode" without
> requiring that application code be dragged along with it.  Delphi did it
> before with String -> LongString... the Delphi 2.0 VCL went unilaterally
> LongString but left applications with the choice.
>

> Before dismissing the notion out of hand, consider that what you (and
> Embarcadero) suggest in search/replacing String for ANSIString and Char to
> ANSIChar etc is essentially exactly what a project "String > ANSIString" vs
> "String > UnicodeString" compiler switch would have achieved (search your
> feelings... you know it's -almost- true), except that a compiler switch
> would have made it easier to apply (and change) across a project!

How would such a solution work with runtime packages? Two different packages?
What about component vendors, IDE experts writers?
What if I want both (ansi and unicode in the one application), then
I'm using the explicit types anyway.

cheers,
Jeremy