?Maybe a related topic - How to make it easy to upgrade.

The main reasons I hear from others for not upgrading are  (with my
experience in brackets):

1 - locked into 3rd party components with no new versions or expensive new
versions
[I luckily have steered clear of addon components, except for a couple of
simple ones with source that have no issues across versions.
As a result typical time from install to adding components to compiling my
real packages was last time 40 minutes.   Cost was zero]

2 - Using printing (Quick reports etc) that has been replaced  by Rave
[I was well advised to upgrade before I coded any printing, as the earlier
delphi versions of printing were "crap", whereas Rave alone was worth the
cost.   Tend to agree - Rave reports have made printing easy.]

3 - Cost of upgrading
[Workable.  Bit the bullet and did it]

4 - Time to install a new and get used to a new IDE
[40 minutes]

I reckon for most people 1 2 and 4 are probably more important than 3.

I reckon it might be worth while having a discussion about whether its
better to avoid 3rd party components altogether and use just VCL to make it
really easy to upgrade.

I tend to get a lot out of standard VCL, particularly with stringgrids and
DBGrids doing much of what the fancy commercial ones doing with some clever
programming.   And standard VCL with XP Manifest or Vista and Windows 7 Aero
themes look really really nice.   Eg the standard Datetime picker on Windows
7 is a stunner!   Anyone seen it?   it scrolls and zooms and slides really
nicely.  Free with Delphi (* note - Windows 7 required as separate
purchase!)

John

Ian D>

I've watched the ongoing discussions re upgrading and costs ..

I still use Delphi 5, and it supports the two products I have out there
reasonably well.

I say reasonably well, in that I'd love to move on to using SQL
databases instead of Paradox, and to use the later features that improve
my productivity in the conversion. To connect to remote databases means
a significant cost, in not only upgrading, but also moving from
professional to a more expensive product.

I have owned D2007 now for some 2 years, and struggle with the
investment of time, on my own, to convert the 3rd party tools and report
writer, in that it won't be paid for directly, neither the time or the
cost of the new product. So. I'm not using it yet.