I agree, something with real limitations but real usefulness.   A Turbo
version would be great.

Possible ideas would be

1 – Executables only run on the PC with the Turbo licence.   otherwise full
version but cheap

2 – Executables have a built in expiry date of 1 year from when compiled.
otherwise full version but cheap

3 – Executables run only for 1 hour after started, or only 1 hour per day.
otherwise full version but cheap

4 – Executables have a splash screen or title bar logo that cannot be removed
saying “Turbo non commercial version”

5 – Will not compile units with more than 1000 lines of code or projects with
more than 20 units.   Should prevent any commercial projects....

6 – Turbo version for students as E did – cannot install any components.
otherwise full version but cheap7

7 – (My favourite).   Full Delphi version, totally free, and you pay say $2 or
$5/hr to use it, and you can’t get out of the charges – eg you have to buy
credit like on a prepaid phone.

8 – They offer some combination of these schemes and you have some choice over
which ones apply to you.  And you cannot turn all of them off and get around
the restrictions.

I reckon any of these are not too hard to do, and people wanting a cheap
version could do any hobby projects with them.   If the restrictions are real
and cannot be got around then make it a $40 version again for old times sake
(Turbo Pascal type price)  (except for option 7).

How about these ideas Embarcadero?

John

Yeah. Both you and Wallace are talking about a non or semi commercial
situation. I think for someone in business the pricing isn’t too bad but they
don’t cover the non commercial market well at all. I don’t think they know how
to provide a version that is useful enough for people to use it yet locked down
enough that it doesn’t cannabilise their commercial sales. Their competitors
that provide free versions either don’t need the full revenue stream (eg
Microsoft) or aren’t commercial projects (eg Eclipse). Doesn’t mean they
shouldn’t find a solution, in fact it is probably critical. Just means there
may not be an easy solution.