​

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Richard Shann <rich...@rshann.plus.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Is that to say you made a palette button that would run the script
> > > sent when clicked?
> >
> > Yes
>
> A series of palette buttons to support microtone accidentals is one way
> to go - there is a Gregorian Chant palette that works that way, though
> in that case the scripts are more complicated because several notes are
> involved for each button to create the
> ​​
> Gregorian groupings.

​​Gregorian groupings​

​for those that would like to do this if I were going to live a lot
longer.  However this may be smeller (?) to what I may want to do with more
than one accidental (*more than one glyph*) per note, but thin I would have
to work in Lilypond to do this.   Let me see how this goes first.

> > > It is LilyPond's syntax for a note, everything except the note name
> > > is
> > > optional, the defaults being the natural accidental, the octave
> > > below
> > > middle C (unless in relative mode when the default is relative to
> > > the
> > > last note) and the duration of the last note. LilyPond reads this
> > > and
> > > decides what should be typeset. By including "makam.ly" LilyPond
> > > expects "k" as a possible accidental and will typeset the glyph it
> > > has
> > > for that.
> >
> > What I am getting at the string that is past to Lilypond is not
> > Scheme code because it does not have spacing between the variables?
>
> No, Denemo does not pass Scheme code to LilyPond, because LilyPond
> requires a file containing LilyPond's syntax.

> > > Python is not used in LilyPond itself, only some converter programs
> > > like midi2ly and so on. The parsing of LilyPond syntax is handled
> > > in
> > > C++ and Scheme. But, again, this is not the mailing list for
> > > LilyPond
> > > questions - anything you read here may be just a fuzzy
> > > understanding of
> > > LilyPond, there are a dozen or so experts on the workings of
> > > LilyPond
> > > on their list, only too happy to see more music typeset by
> > > LilyPond.
> >
> > Basically I have been asking about how Denemo talks to Lilypond.
>
> Denemo writes out a file and then starts the LilyPond program passing
> it the filename, LilyPond then generates a PDF file which Denemo then
> displays.

​Is a file the string ​

​past for each note?   I ask because the PDF is updated each time the
string is past.​

> >  The font question was baste on the  assumption the that Denemo  only
> > has a sub set of subset font.   So I was trying to find out what
> > could be added to Denemo
>
> The only thing you have to add to Denemo is the LilyPond syntax that
> you want Denemo to pass to LilyPond. But in addition it is nice to tell
> Denemo what to display to you when you have attached a "k" to a note,
> so as to make it easy to decipher the Denemo Display and be sure you
> attached the right thing.
> So that comes back once more to the question - can LilyPond create the
> typeset you want? If it can and you know what syntax LilyPond wants
> then I can help you make Denemo pass that syntax to LilyPond.
> ​

​0k that should work for me​.   I may have to get some help
from Lilypond, if it does not.   I think Graham Greed has created most of
them I am reading his web sit to see what he may have done.

> ​
>

> >  and though you would know were the accidentals were in Lilypond
> > because you had to get your matching code some were (the names of the
> > accidentals that you use like "k").
> drawing the glyph in the Denemo Display is optional - you could just
> put the letter "k" next to the note, and you would know that you had
> attached a "k" as the accidental. It would not be so nice to look at
> but the typesetting would still be fine.

​I do not like that idea, but that may be ok for some things.

> > BTW I have been looking at the cade that you sent for makam.ly.
> > Was it written by Lilypond (.ly)?
>
> Do you mean this:

​NO​

> > > The example (see below) was:
> > >
> > > (let ((tag "makam"))
> > >         (d-DirectivePut-note-postfix tag "k")
> > >         (d-DirectivePut-note-override tag DENEMO_OVERRIDE_AFFIX)
> > >         (d-DirectivePut-note-graphic tag
> > > "accidentals.sharp.slashslashslash.stem")
> > >         (d-DirectivePut-note-gx tag -10)
> > >         (d-SetSaved #f))
>
> That is a Scheme program. It is calling a sequence of procedures that
> Denemo provides - the ones named x-XXXXX. If you put that script into a
> palette button and click on the  button it will be executed and the
> result is that a Denemo Directive will be attached to the note at the
> cursor. If you move the cursor to a new note and click again an
> identical Denemo Directive will be attached to that note. The Denemo
> Display and the LilyPond typesetting will change to match.
>
> >    What program language is it?
>
> or do you mean the code that is in the file "makam.ly"? That is
> LilyPond syntax

​YES​

> >    Is it just calls to libraries?   No clue!!   It change as you poke
> > around, very strange.
>
> poke???
>
> Richard

​Thank you, ƒ​