Greetings,

I have an interesting issue I just ran into and it took a little while to debug
and figure out exactly what is happening.

I have a project that uses an embedded Derby database.  My project folder
organization is a typical for an open source project:

/projectname
   /bin
       start.sh   // starts the application
  /data
     /projectdb  // this is the derby database.

My projectdb database also has a specific username, password, and
permissions/roles on that user.

When I start the application, the "start.sh" script sets the
-Dderby.system.home to the "/data" directory and my JDBC connection URL figures
out the fully qualified location of the "/projectdb" directory so Derby can
easily access it. This all works perfectly fine.

Then I wanted to run a test where I moved the /projectdb directory to a
different location. I though  I would be able to do this with no problems. But
I was wrong :( When I do this I get the following authentication exception

Caused by: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: Connection
authentication failure occurred.  Reason: Invalid authentication..
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.newSQLException(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.checkUserCredentials(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:247)
        at
org.ferris.resiste.console.sql.SqlConnectionProducer.postConstruct(SqlConnectionProducer.java:31)
        ... 67 more
Caused by: ERROR 08004: Connection authentication failure occurred.  Reason:
Invalid authentication..
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown
 Source)
        ... 84 more

Which I thought was kind of odd. What I eventually discovered is the
-Dderby.system.home value and the location of the database must be in sync. If
they are not, I get the authentication exception. If do not set the
-Dderby.system.home value, I get this authentication exception.

Originally, I remember setting the -Dderby.system.home value because I wanted
the derby.log files created in that directory. I didn't expect this value would
also be critical for connecting to the database with a username/password.  I
haven't tried it unauthenticated, but it seems to me I should be able to move
the location of the database around and as long as I'm connecting to the
database, authentication should work OK regardless of -Dderby.system.home and
the location of the database being in sync.  This make sense?

Thanks!
Mike