The ij CONNECT command issues a DriverManager.getConnection(jdbcURL) command. What does your connection logic look like?

Thanks,
-Rick

On 3/23/21 4:59 AM, Michael Remijan wrote:
I'll see if I can reproduce it with ij, but I'm not sure. The error is with the
Java client connecting to and starting an embedded database. There's no SQL at
play since it's the connecting and starting that's failing.  If I can reproduce
it with ij I'll let you know.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 1:09 PM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Embedded database, authentication, and derby.system.home

Sorry. I need SQL scripts. I can't make sense of a compiled application
with no source code.

On 3/22/21 7:05 AM, Michael Remijan wrote:
Hi Rick,

Here is a working Java example for you. It's fully self-contained with its own JRE so all
you need do is download it and run it. This bin distribution is for Windows, so sorry if
you're on another platform.  It's too big for email, so I have it on my OneDrive
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2F1drv.ms%2Fu%2Fs!Ao0GHBDYRFEMgbMss-5a_R3q1GOvBQ%3Fe%3DnpfMBd&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc6fb22f26340407b616708d8ed5d8d2e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637520333338352293%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=jBxtsRB9m9TvwKtQyrIrTFjajbrz%2FUTDqXbECfFuhD4%3D&amp;reserved=0

First, download, unzip, then run /bin/start-resiste.bat. You'll see the
following:
[cid:image001.png@01D71EF8.C4AFB090]

Next, m move the /data directory to a different location and then update
/conf/db.properties.
[cid:image002.png@01D71EF9.233513D0]

Next, run /bin/start-resiste.bat again. You'll see the following error:
[cid:image003.png@01D71EF9.233513D0]

Next, update /bin/start-resiste.bat to make sure derby.system.home is in sync
with the new location of the database:
[cid:image004.png@01D71EF9.3A7B5450]

Next, run /bin/start-resiste.bat again. You'll see it's now successful with
/conf/db.properties and /bin/start-resiste.bat in sync
[cid:image001.png@01D71EF8.C4AFB090]

Now here is a big Caveat. I discovered this while getting this demo together. I
have Derby 10.14.2.0 installed on my computer. For my first attempt at this
demo, I created the database from scratch using 10.14.2.0. When I did this, I
DID NOT experience the connection error as described above. However, when I use
my original database, I DO experience the error as demonstrated above.
Unfortunately, I do not remember which version of Derby I used to create the
original database, but obviously it was an older version. So perhaps this has
something to do with an older database version?

Mike