Hi Michael,

I must be missing something in your description of the problem, because I cannot reproduce it. I have created the following scripts in order to reproduce the behavior of both changing the value of derby.system.home and moving the database to another directory:

First SQL script nativeTest.sql:

CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;create=true;user=dbo';

CALL syscs_util.syscs_create_user( 'DBO', 'dbo_password' );

-- shutdown in order to enable NATIVE authentication

CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;shutdown=true';

CONNECT
'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';

VALUES SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_GET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.authentication.provider');

CREATE TABLE t(a INT);

INSERT INTO t VALUES (1), (2);

Second SQL script nativeTest2.sql:

CONNECT
'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zz/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';

SELECT * FROM t;

Then a shell script (z1) to run nativeTest.sql, move the database to another directory, then run nativeTest2.sql:

#! /bin/bash

#

# Run a derby test

rm -rf z/db1

rm -rf zz/db1

rm zzz/*

rm zzzz/*

. setupClasspath

java -cp $CLASSPATH -Dderby.system.home=/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zzz
-Dderby.language.logStatementText=true -Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0
org.apache.derby.tools.ij  $MAC_HOME/sql/nativeTest.sql

mv z/db1 zz/

java -cp $CLASSPATH -Dderby.system.home=/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zzzz
-Dderby.language.logStatementText=true -Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0
org.apache.derby.tools.ij  $MAC_HOME/sql/nativeTest2.sql

When I run z1, I get the following output:

ij version 10.16

ij> CONNECT
'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;create=true;user=dbo';

ij> CALL syscs_util.syscs_create_user( 'DBO', 'dbo_password' );

0 rows inserted/updated/deleted

ij> -- shutdown in order to enable NATIVE authentication

CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;shutdown=true';

ERROR 08006: Database '/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1' shutdown.

ij> CONNECT
'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';

ij(CONNECTION1)> VALUES
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_GET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.authentication.provider');

1

NATIVE::LOCAL

1 row selected

ij(CONNECTION1)> CREATE TABLE t(a INT);

0 rows inserted/updated/deleted

ij(CONNECTION1)> INSERT INTO t VALUES (1), (2);

2 rows inserted/updated/deleted

ij(CONNECTION1)> ij version 10.16

ij> CONNECT
'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zz/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';

ij> SELECT * FROM t;

1

2

2 rows selected

Can you post a similar set of scripts which demonstrate the problem you are seeing?

Thanks,
-Rick