On 30.07.2017 07:32, Jason Harrer wrote:
> Hello, all -
>
> Sending to both Design & Dev mailing lists, as the discussion applies to
> both teams, and being that I can't make the weekly meetings (and seldom
> have time to read the minutes), I figured it best to have the discussion
> via the mailing lists.
>
> With the SASS work underway (thanks to fr33's diligent patching and iko's
> diligent updating), I began work this evening reviewing how to start
> getting the dashboard page moving forward.  In particular, I wanted to
> validate that all of the requested data that is on the prototype can in
> fact be obtained.  It turns out that we need to review a big elephant in
> the room once again.
>
> For reference, the prototype for the Dashboard can be viewed at
> https://snowdrift.sylphs.net/prototypes/alpha/dashboard/  I know mray is
> working on some updates here and there, but I don't think his updates
> included any plans on changing the piece that is the topic of this e-mail.
>
> Under the Matches tab is a big red box that says "Monthly Limit".  This is
> apparently to reflect a user's ability to limit how much money a user is
> willing to pay out per month at the most.
>
> There are two major concerns with this part of the prototype:
>
> 1) This goes against the philosophies that Aaron has talked about numerous
> times, all the way back to when I first started on the project 3-4 years
> ago.  He was strongly against the concept of applying a cap/limit at all.
> Iko thinks there was a decision change somewhere along the way in meetings
> whereby there was an agreement to create a $5 limit for each user during
> the alpha stage.  Being that I haven't been involved in meetings since the
> date/time change (as it conflicts with a standing weekly meeting for my day
> job), I can't really comment on that either way.  I'd like to make sure
> that everyone is in agreement that this is indeed a function that we wish
> to have, though, as that decision impacts next steps on moving forward (as
> outlined below in the summary).
>
> 2) There is currently no back-end support for a limit of any dollar
> amount.  There isn't even a data element for such a limit to be stored
> within the database at all (not that I can see, anyway).  Setting up such
> logic, to the best of my foresight, would most likely entail updates to
> both the website logic (allowing the user to set their limit, limiting the
> amount a user can pledge to projects, etc.) as well as crowdmatch logic
> (ensuring that the total amount we're trying to charge the user doesn't
> exceed their limit...  Which theoretically should never happen if the
> website logic works properly to ensure the total we attempt to charge
> doesn't exceed their limit, but it's always good to double check just in
> case there's a bug somwhere...).  Such Development work is outside of my
> comfort zone and would have to rely on another Haskeller to have time to
> make updates,.

> [...]

I'm not well informed about the exact current status from the code side.
My latest info on that matter is: There would be a hard 5$ limit,
without any way to change that. Adding an adjustable limit would have to
be implemented later on.

In terms of design this means a button is grayed out, and there is some
text that explains why it isn't working yet.

If it turns out we don't have any limit whatsoever I expect a very bad
impact on our credibility due to the hypothetical case of a pledge
amount explosion.

You say there is no hard 5$ limit. How hard is it to implement that?