Here's what I remember from the discussions a few months back:

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Jason Harrer <jazzyeagl...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are two major concerns with this part of the prototype:

1) This goes against the philosophies that Aaron has talked about numerous times, all the way back to when I first started on the project 3-4 years ago. He was strongly against the concept of applying a cap/limit at all.

The objection was against a *per-project* limit, not a site-wide limit, which I think everyone agrees is necessary to make people comfortable with pledging (even if the "pledge amount explosion" scenario is not very likely).

2) There is currently no back-end support for a limit of any dollar amount.

We knew this. Plan at the time being:

- Adding a limit function in the backend is a priority
- Until we make an official announcement, we expect pledge numbers to be low, so we should have plenty of time before we're getting enough money to actually do a crowdmatch event. - If for some reason we get to the point of doing a crowdmatch event before the limit is implemented, we will enforce the limit manually (just check to make sure nobody's being charged over $5.