[Responding selectively, this thread is getting long.]

Emmanuele Bassi <eba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The main factor has always been about how we handle identity. If we
>> give online accounts access to 3rd party apps, we're giving them
>> access to the GNOME keys. They appear as "GNOME" to online providers
>> and their access is bundled up with our own. As a result, we lose the
>> ability to ensure that the GNOME keys are being used in accordance
>> with providers' terms and conditions.
>
> This is because we never specified a way to get third party keys stored
> inside GOA as part of a process to get third party modules to it.

If apps could provide their own keys that would certainly change the
picture (I didn't actually know it was a possibility.) It would also
change the nature of Online Accounts of course; it's always been
designed as part of the system, that's used by the system and the core
apps. Might take a little thought.

>> From a design perspective that's never been something we've wanted to
>> do, both from a branding and identity perspective, as well as from a
>> "oh shit we can't access Google any more, because some random app did
>> something they didn't like".
>
> We can communicate that a key has been revoked by a service in the same way
> we communicate that the user needs to re-authenticate themselves.

That would work if apps can provide their own keys. The concern in the
past has always been around GNOME's keys potentially being
blacklisted.

Allan