Public bug reported:

Attempting to create a full backup to a SMB NAS, succeeds if backup is
set to unencrypted. Fails if password is specified.

Symptom: deja-dup loops endlessly through "scanning" -> "encryption
password needed" -> "require password?" and round and round.

Possibly related to recent gnupg options changes? Creating a GPG key
pair for enigmail to use was the last major change i made to my set-up
since the last time these back-ups succeeded. If that's the cause, i'll
be darned if i can work out what to revert where.

** Affects: deja-dup (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  Deja-dup fails to create encrypted backup

Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu: