Well the endless loop aspect is probably from how deja dup is driving
duplicity. We treat most fog issues as bad passwords, I believe because
the error messages are a little variable.

So duplicity is likely correctly reporting gpg messages. If it doesn't
catch this case especially, maybe deja dup should try to more narrowly
handle gpg errors and report ones it doesn't recognize to the user.

I'll set task back to deja dup.

** Project changed: duplicity => deja-dup

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  Backup does not recognize gpg 2 option and fails

Status in Déjà Dup:
  Invalid
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:

  Attempting to create a full backup to a SMB NAS, succeeds if backup is
  set to unencrypted. Fails if password is specified.

  Symptom: deja-dup loops endlessly through "scanning" -> "encryption
  password needed" -> "require password?" and round and round.

  Possibly related to recent gnupg options changes? Creating a GPG key
  pair for enigmail to use was the last major change i made to my set-up
  since the last time these back-ups succeeded. If that's the cause,
  i'll be darned if i can work out what to revert where.

  Release:    Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
  deja-dup    34.2-0ubuntu1.1
  duplicity   0.7.06-2ubuntu2

  Reproduction Steps:

  * Add the line "trust-model tofu+pgp" to the end of your gpg.conf (probably
~/.gnupg/gpg.conf)
  * Try an encrypted backup of any data to any destination.