That new link is a different crash - bug 1714989 :)

  gnome-shell freezes and crashes upon usb drive insertion

  1) Release
  Ubuntu 17.10

  2)Package version
  gnome-shell 3.26.2-0ubuntu0.1

  3) What is expected

  After inserting, external HD drive, USB flash drive or phone (to
  charge) the computer should not freeze and crash

  4) What happens instead
  Almost all the time, when I insert an external drive gnome-shell freezes for
a while and then restarts. I check the `dmesg` output and couldn't find the
cause of this problem. And, not sure where to start and what to diagnose or
test.
  Also, unfortunately I don't have a script or method to reproducible this
error elsewhere. I'm willing to participate if any developer wants to do tests.