From: "Matt Woodrow" <mwood...@mozilla.com>
To: dev-platform@lists.mozilla.org
Cc: "Robert O'Callahan" <r...@ocallahan.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:41:16 AM
Subject: Paint Timing Changes and Tp5

In preparation for relanding DLBI (display-list based invalidation - Bug
539356), I'm going to be landing a set of patches to change the timing of our
painting.

These move painting to be driven by the refresh driver, instead of the OS
widget's paint event. This is a required change for DLBI, and preferable for
off-main-thread compositing (OMTC).

Unfortunately it appears that we were being artificially throttled to below
60fps by the widget paint events, and removing this manifests in a tp5
regression. I've spent a lot of time looking into this, and the only difference
is that we paint the UI more times while the page is loading and this extra
painting delays the onLoad() event slightly. Unfortunately these extra paints
don't actually make to the screen currently (since we only composite to the
screen during the widget paint event), but OMTC will let us take full advantage
of this.

Currently this is about 5-8% tp5 regression across all platforms.

I've been looking at some improvements to our painting speed to try and cancel
out this change (Bug 781053), but we don't want to block DLBI on these.

I plan to land this in the next day or so unless anyone has major objections
(and preferably alternate solutions).

- Matt