On 08/10/2012 02:59 PM, smaug wrote:
On 08/09/2012 08:36 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 8/9/12 11:37 AM, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
This seems important. If the computer is running close to 100% CPU which
is why paints are being throttled, then we're just introducing extra
work for no benefit. We know that a significant portion of our user base
has relatively slow computers, and we don't want to be doing extra
painting that they will never see.

I wonder whether we can detect this situation and throttle back the refresh
driver...

-Boris

Yes, we should try this. If we can't get widget paint events at 60fps, there is
no need to run
refresh driver so fast, at least if there are no animation frame callbacks.

I'm not sure how DPLI+refreshdriver ends up asking OS to paint, but could we
skip
non-throttled nsRefreshDriver::Notify calls if the OS hasn't painted us since
the last time
we asked it to paint.