On 8/9/2012 7:27 PM, Matt Woodrow wrote:
When OMTC arrives, which thread will be running the widget event loop
and receiving WM_PAINT messages?
Still the main gecko thread, we just don't paint synchronously in response to
this event. Apparently this is fine.
Do you have documentation on this? Here are the details which cause me to think that this is incorrect:

* BeginPaint to obtain the HDC must be called synchronously from within the WM_PAINT message handler * Most of GDI is thread-affine and you need to call the painting functions on the same thread as the HDC was created on

As a partial aside, I think it might be *better* if the OMTC thread was the thread which actually processed windows events, especially if we didn't ever need to block the OMTC thread on the main gecko thread and merely dispatch them asynchronously: this could significantly improve our situation with plugin hangs (but it would probably cause problems with accessibility and perhaps a few other situations).

--BDS