On 2/26/2014, 11:56 AM, Andreas Gal wrote:

This randomly reminds me that it might be time to review zip as our compression
format for omni.ja.

ls -l omni.ja

7862939

ls -l omni.tar.xz (tar and then xz -z)

4814416

LZMA2 is available as a public domain implementation. It uses a bit more memory
than zip, but its still within reason (the default level 6 is around 1MB to
decode I believe). A fairly easy way to use it would be to add support for a
custom compression format for our version of libjar.

Is there a meta ticket for this? I'm interested in evaluating how much this would trim the mobile/android APK size.

Nick