On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 7:57:58 AM UTC-7, Richard Barnes wrote:
> In order to encourage web developers to move from HTTP to HTTPS, I would
> like to propose establishing a deprecation plan for HTTP without security.
> Broadly speaking, this plan would entail  limiting new features to secure
> contexts, followed by gradually removing legacy features from insecure
> contexts.  Having an overall program for HTTP deprecation makes a clear
> statement to the web community that the time for plaintext is over -- it
> tells the world that the new web uses HTTPS, so if you want to use new
> things, you need to provide security.

I'd be fully supportive of this if - and only if - at least one of the
following is implemented alongside it:

* Less scary warnings about self-signed certificates (i.e. treat
HTTPS+selfsigned like we do with HTTP now, and treat HTTP like we do with
HTTPS+selfsigned now); the fact that self-signed HTTPS is treated as less
secure than HTTP is - to put this as politely and gently as possible - a pile
of bovine manure
* Support for a decentralized (blockchain-based, ala Namecoin?) certificate
authority

Basically, the current CA system is - again, to put this as gently and politely
as possible - fucking broken.  Anything that forces the world to rely on it
exclusively is not a solution, but is instead just going to make the problem
worse.