On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Karl Dubost <kdub...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Le 14 avr. 2015 à 10:43, imfasterthanneutr...@gmail.com a écrit :
> > I don't think the current CA system is broken.
>
> The current CA system creates issues for certain categories of population.
> It is broken in some ways.
>
> > The domain name registration is also centralized, but almost every
> website has a hostname, rather than using IP address, and few people
> complain about this.
>
> Two points:
>
> 1. You do not need to register a domain name to have a Web site (IP
> address)
> 2. You do not need to register a domain name to run a local blah.test.site
>
> Both are still working and not deprecated in browsers ^_^
>
> Now the fact to have to rent your domain name ($$$) and that all the URIs
> are tied to this is in terms of permanent identifiers and the fabric of
> time on information has strong social consequences. But's that another
> debate than the one of this thread on deprecating HTTP in favor of HTTPS.

This is a fair point, and we should probably figure out a way to
accommodate these.  My inclination is to mostly punt this to manual
configuration (e.g., installing a new trusted cert/override), since we're
not talking about generally available public service on the Internet.  But
if there are more elegant solutions that don't reduce security, I would be
interested to hear them.

> I would love to see this discussion happening in Whistler too.

Agreed.  That sounds like an excellent opportunity to hammer out details
here, assuming we can agree on overall  direction in the meantime.

--Richard