On 2015-06-11 4:46 PM, Chris Hofmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Mike Hoye <mh...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-06-11 3:48 PM, R Kent James wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe the correct fix is to start paying attention to votes.
>>>
>> If you choose your project priorities based on internet voting, you're
>> gonna have a bad time.
>>
>> The word "vote" implies that the act of voting has a direct effect on the
>> outcome,
>

> I don't see is anything in the definition that implies direct effect
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vote
>
> most of that is around the idea that a vote is an expression of opinion or
> preference.
>
> Seems like we don't need to, and haven't in many cases, implemented
> features
> or fixes with lots of votes but they at least deserve some kind of response
> due to the
> high level of interest, and that's generally what happens.
>
> There are a few of us still round from the origin of many of these bugzilla
> features
> and for this one I think it was  mostly just intended as a mechanism to
> make sure we
> had some ways to get a good collection of eyeballs on a particular issue
> where lots
> of people shared the same experience or ideas, and to make sure at least
> some kind of response was in place that explained the reason for doing,
> or not doing, some course of action.
>
> Based on that you might come away with a different opinion that voting
> was working and serving a valuable service in its most simple form.
>
> Its it just the case that we need to make it more clear that a vote means
> "vote for this bug to get more people looking at and discussing this bug"?

The original intention for voting doesn't seem to be widely understood
or respected, as I believe you are saying.  So we either need to somehow
communicate this intention more widely, or abandon it.  Unless someone
is going to step up for the former, I would go with the latter.

Furthermore, since bugs with lots of votes also have lots of CCs (see an
earlier post of mine), if we want to just acknowledge that a bug is
popular, we can just use CC counts above a certain threshold.
Admittedly there's no way to search for that, but it wouldn't be hard to
add.

> It seems like the original proposal was to try and cut down on bugzilla
> features
>  with the idea of trying to remove and simplify.  Now its turned into yeah,
> there is something
> here that people want to be able to do here, but voting is not quite it,
> and it might
> deserve more investigation and feature work to really solve "the  real"
> problem.
>
> That seems like its leading more towards taking something simple like the
> voting feature
> we have now and turning it into something more complex.  That's an
> interesting
> turn in the discussion and something you are likely to run into as you try
> to examine
> more bugzilla features.

My plan is not to transform something simple into something complex.  I
still think we can ditch voting.  What I am proposing is taking an
existing feature--bug tagging--which is not widely used (too complex,
not discoverable) and make it simpler and better to replace the strange
misuse of voting that has arisen (watching bugs without email, that is,
creating a favourites list).  In addition, I want to turn off most CC
notifications.

That's going to be one of my strategies for examining Bugzilla
features--figuring out where can we combine and simplify features, and
where we can replace a useless or misused feature with something more
obvious.

Mark