On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:

> Given that people are already feeling pressure to fix up thunderbird
> code when they land patches, I can only see that pressure increasing
> when you don't even need to pull a separate tree.

That's more or less correct, though I'd rewrite it as the following:

"Given that people are already feeling pressure to fix up thunderbird
code when they land patches, we should make things easier by not
making them need to pull a separate tree."

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Justin Dolske <dol...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> +1. Last time this thread came up, I thought the guidance was that core
> contributors (and especially MoCo employees) should explicitly *not* be
> spending time on TB/SM code. Even in the "I'll just be nice and go a bit out
> of my way", because those costs are undervalued and add up.

Speaking for myself: even if I did ignore c-c, ignoring c-c doesn't
come with zero cost. Because if I change an API used by thunderbird
then a bug will be filed, and it will be marked as depending on the
bug in which I changed the API, and I'll see that in bugmail, and then
I'll read the bug, and feel bad that I inconvenienced someone -- but
I'll be strong, I'll ignore that bad feeling -- and then maybe they'll
need to needinfo me to ask about the change -- but maybe they should
know better, and maybe I should ignore them again -- and if I get CC'd
maybe I can just un-CC myself.

In comparison, for the cases I've experienced, modifying the TB code
is really simple. E.g. I'll have to modify 80 places in m-c code and
then 4 places in c-c code. Numbers like that.

Nick