Like Greg, I'm a big fan of reviewer-lands-if-ready. It's a huge
simplification of workflow, saves developers time, and lets machines do
work instead of humans. That said, I don't think we should be surprising
people or unilaterally imposing changes to their workflow.  The best way to
do this is to make it simple to adopt, and demonstrably better than the old
way.  Developers will migrate over time as they see the light.

I think this is an easy fix if we're willing to modify our patch submission
workflow to reflect a wider set of asks and responses.  It's more or less
the same mental model as the multi-state flags we use for tracking, there's
more than one type of request, and more than one possible response.

Simple proposal: replace review/feedback flags with a new,
multiple-requestable flag.  Possible values could be:

feedback?
review?
land?
feedback+
withcomments+
review+
land+

Patch authors would be able to opt into the easier flow by setting "land?"
instead of
"review?"  "review?" and "feedback?" would retain their current
definitions.  Patch reviewers would be able to respond explicitly with
feedback, a conditional r+, full r+, or land+.

* Anything where land+ is set would trigger autoland.
* land+ should be set only if requested, or if the reviewer believes that's
expected
* patch authors would be allowed to autoland with review+
* withcomments+ or feedback+ would not allow autoland.

In the short term, we could experiment with this as an additional patch
flag (land?/+/-).  I think the multi-state flag reflects current workflow
reality and eliminates nuance, so should be explored.

-- Mike