Following up in this. We're not the first people to have autoland, so is
there some reason
not to simply copy what others do here. Specifically, here's the Chromium
commitbot
behavior: https://www.chromium.org/developers/testing/commit-queue

Current process for the user

   1. Upload a review to rietveld where it gets reviewed and LGTM'ed.
   2. One of:
      1. Check (select) the 'Commit' checkbox on a Rietveld issue, on the
      particular patchset that has been approved. Checking the checkbox is the
      only action required and there will be no immediate feedback in
the form of
      messages, etc, to notify you that something has happened.
         - Only the issue owner, someone at @chromium.org or @google.com
         can check the box.
         - Yes, *non-Chromium committers are allowed *to use the commit
         queue but cannot LGTM a change.
      2. At the command line, type git cl set_commit
      3. Have a reviewer use 'Quick LGTM & CQ'.
   3. Wait an hour. The current list of patches to be queued can be found
   at Commit Queue Patches
   <https://codereview.chromium.org/search?closed=3&commit=2>, while CQ
   progress can be tracked at Commit Queue Progress
   <https://chromium-cq-status.appspot.com/>. The commit queue will wait
   automatically for the tree to reopen.
   4. Wait for an email from commit-...@chromium.org with success or
   failure.