On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Ben Kelly <bke...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Honza Bambas <hbam...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> And I do! :)  Actually any parent necko channel, mainly HTTP, which sends
>> data to the child process.  We also have bug 1110596 which complains about
>> too much memory copying in that code.
>> Could your IPCStream be used for that?
>>

> Yes, I think that could work in general.
>
> I think the main issue would be compat with existing nsIStreamListeners.
> These listeners might be written such that they expect the nsIInputStream
> passed in OnDataAvailable() to return their entire length from a single
> Available() call.  This will not be true for a streamed pipe.

Actually, the nsIStreamListener interface explicitly requires a fixed
length nsIInputStream:

"The onDataAvailable impl must read exactly |aCount| bytes of data before
returning."

https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/netwerk/base/nsIStreamListener.idl#18

I don't think we can use a pipe-oriented stream here without changing that
interface contract.

Ben