On 2016-10-24 6:29 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
> I'm hearing general agreement that we think turning this off is the
> right thing to do; that maintaining compatibility with Chrome's behavior
> is important (since that's what existing code will presumably be tested
> against); and -- as bz points out -- we don't want to throw an exception
> here for spec compliance purposes. I propose that we move forward with a
> plan to immediately deny permission in non-secure contexts. Kan-Ru's
> proposal that we put this behind a pref seems like a good one -- that
> way, if we discover that something unexpected happens in deployment,
> it's a very simple fix to go back to our current behavior.
>
> I would be hesitant to over-analyze additional complications, such as
> https-everywhere or user education on this topic. We are, after all,
> simply coming into alignment with the rest of the web ecosystem here.

FWIW, and to the extent that my opinion matters on the topic, I strongly
disagree that breaking the websites that people use silently is the
right thing to do.

Let's ignore the HTTPS Everywhere part of the thread, and instead pay
more attention to what our users will see after we roll this out.  It's
easy to ignore this when looking at the ratio of granted non-secure
geolocation prompts per all page loads, but we _are_ talking about
breaking a fifth of geolocations on the web for our users.

I think the user experience that Chrome has shipped sets an extremely
low bar.  While it's easy for us to match that bar, we can (and I argue
we should) do better.

PS. Please note that I'm disappearing later today going on vacation,
which may mean I may not get to continue arguing this side.  I'm
secretly hoping someone else will.  :-)