On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM, <jma...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> As Firefox 57 is on trunk, we are shipping e10s by default.  This means
> that our primary support is for e10s.  As part of this, there is little to
> no need to run duplicated tests in non-e10s and e10s mode.

We still run android in non-e10s mode, right?

> In bug 1386689, we have turned them off.  There was some surprise in doing
> this and some valid concerns expressed in comments in the bug.  Given that,
> I thought we should bring this information to a wider audience on
> dev.platform so more developers are aware of the change.
>
> While we get some advantages to not running duplicated tests (faster try
> results, less backlogs, fewer intermittent failures) there might be
> compelling reasons to run some tests in e10s based on specific coverage.
> With that said, I would like to say that any tests we turn on as non-e10s
> must have a clearly marked end date- as in this is only a temporary measure
> while we schedule work in to gain this coverage fully with e10s tests.

If we have an android test disabled (a lot I think), then we should
consider continuing to run the test in non-e10s on desktop linux.  Having
more real devices to run android tests on would probably reduce the number
of tests that are disabled.  The emulator is extremely slow and not
representative of real hardware.

Ben