On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 03:28:45PM -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 6/19/18 9:04 AM, Sebastian Hengst wrote:
TL;DR: We would like to change the mozilla-inbound backout policy to be like autoland’s.

This seems like a pretty reasonable change in general.

Is there a well-documented try syntax string which corresponds to "these are the things that need to be green to avoid being backed out"? Presumably that string is not "-p all -u all" because it should exclude tier2 and lower things, but it's not entirely clear to me what the autoland backout criteria are. I would assume we want developers to do a try run with that syntax before pushing to inbound as needed.

I tend to worry about the amount of extra automation runtime that kind of policy will trigger. I tend to try to limit my try runs to areas they're likely to affect to avoid wasting thousands of hours of machine time on things I know cannot be affected by a patch. The integration trees try to do something similar, based on changed files. Try does not. When you specify `-p all -u all`, it really does try to run all tests. Including things like ccov, which always fail, and also don't matter for try runs.

I also don't know how much it would affect the oranges I get on inbound. A significant fraction of those are rebase issues, because I tend to do my first try run before review (or while waiting for review), and don't want to do a whole new try run when I land.

Most of the rest are because I almost always forget to do Android runs, and sometimes forget what sorts of weird things can break Windows but not other platforms. But our Android and Windows slaves tend to be overloaded as it is, and I don't want to just start throwing extra jobs at them every time I write a commit, on the odd chance that one of my changes will affect them. Though there are definitely specific sorts of patches I should remember to run Android and Windows mochitests on more often.