On 07/12/2018 00:08, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
We're already making people install MSVS to get the relevant Windows
SDKs (manually, not supported via ./mach bootstrap, and hopefully
ticking the right boxes in the installer or they have to do it again
until they do win at checkbox-golfing)
We should fix that.

Microsoft provides "Visual Studio Build Tools" which allows installing components such as those needed to build Firefox, without installing the whole IDE.

It can be configured with the same command line arguments as "full" MSVC [1], in particular to select the components (checkboxes) and/or to run unattended (see "--passive" or "--quiet"). Component IDs are documented at [2].

I’ve used this for unattended install in a system image used for Servo CI [3]. Could `./mach bootstrap` do something similar?

[1]: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/use-command-line-parameters-to-install-visual-studio?view=vs-2017

[2]: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-build-tools?view=vs-2017

[3]: https://github.com/servo/servo/blob/3c19cd49e/etc/taskcluster/windows/first-boot.ps1#L71-L77

--