On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 5:30 PM Marcos Caceres <mcace...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 11:59:45 PM UTC+11, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 9:45 PM Marcos Caceres <mcace...@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
> > sccache supports doing cross compilation so you don't actually need to
> > buy a fast Mac to get fast Mac builds. A fast cheap Linux desktop will
> > get you much better bang for your buck.
>
> Now that we are all be stuck at home for 1-2 months, might be fun to
> revisit this :)
>
> If anyone manages to get sccache working across multiple Macs/Linux boxes
> at home, could you post some instructions on how to get it going?

I have achieved this two times with different configurations.  Both times I
followed
https://github.com/mozilla/sccache/blob/master/docs/DistributedQuickstart.md
and asked questions in https://chat.mozilla.org/#/room/#build:mozilla.org.
Each time I was mostly building mobile/android; I had issues targeting
macOS (that I think I resolved, once).

The first time I had three devices: a beefy Linux box, a Linux laptop, and
a macOS laptop.  I ran the scheduler and a builder on the beefy Linux box,
I ran the Linux laptop as a builder, and the macOS laptop was (necessarily)
a client.  I used no authentication.

The second I had two devices: the beefy Linux box and the macOS laptop.  I
used the in-office scheduler and ran the beefy Linux box as a builder.

Much of the expertise here has moved on but hopefully we can get things
working for folks.

Best,
Nick