From: Rob Stradling [mailto:rob.stradl...@comodo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:12 PM
To: Jeremy Rowley
Cc: Richard Wang; mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org; Peter Bowen;
Peter Gutmann
Subject: Re: [FORGED] Name issues in public certificates

On 17/11/15 18:27, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> Encoding an IP Address in a dNSName is not permitted by the BRs.  This is
> what Peter's "_ipv4_not_allowed_here" rule refers to, IIUC.
> [JR] I suppose that is true under 7.1.4.2.1 but how would you get the
> browsers to work back then? Chrome and IE did not process ipAddress properly.

Jeremy, I don't recall any clause in the BRs that permits CAs to ignore
requirements that they or their customers don't like.

They are not Baseline Suggestions! ;-)

If (whilst the BRs have been in force) there's been a perceived need to encode
IP addresses in dNSName fields, then don't you think that the correct thing to
do would've been to take the matter to CABForum and seek to update the BRs so
that this practice is permitted?

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist