On 02/05/17 16:11, Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy wrote:
I know several CAs are using certlint (https://github.com/awslabs/certlint)
as a pre-issuance check that the cert they're about to issue doesn't have
any programmatically detectable deficiencies; if it doesn't already cover
some of these cases, it'd be great to add them as a technical means for
ensuring that this doesn't regress -- things like N/A should be an easy
enough check to add I'd think.

Simple project idea (perhaps for https://github.com/cabforum):

A CSV file that contains 2 items per line:
1. An optional comma-separated list of Subject attribute shortnames.
2. A string that a CA should probably not encode as a complete Subject attribute.

e.g.,
"OU,ST,L","N/A"
,"."
"O","Internet Widgits Pty Ltd"

Anyone (CA representatives, industry researchers, etc, etc) would be able to submit PRs, CAs would be invited to consult this list when evaluating certificate requests, and certlint would be able to report on "violations".

Cheers,
Alex

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy <

(Still wearing Google Hat in this context)

I think sharing a list (in CT) of the certs is good and can help verify the
assertions made here :)

But overall, I think this sounds right and the risk is minimal to our
users, so not revoking still sounds good :)

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:53 PM, Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com

wrote:

Certainly happy to share more info. The search was for all EV and OV
certs. Of the 4000 certificates detected, 101 certificates are EV. Of
these
EV certificates, 17 would be included in the proposed revocation. The
rest
have the “N/A” issue. This is just the locality/state/zip. The
jurisdiction
of incorporation processes separately and doesn’t have the same
auto-populate tool.

More info:

78 certs had non-US states populated with US states (thanks to the
auto-populator)

791 entities are affected by the entire range of certificates

257 entities are affected if we revoke the 1033 certs

82 entities are affected if we revoke just the 150 certs

What else would you like to know?

Jeremy