-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert.com@lists.mozilla
.org] On Behalf Of Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:40 PM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Certificates with invalidly long serial numbers

But that would require the issuer of the replacement cert (which might not
be a fast-issue DV cert) to complete validation in something like 36 hours,
which is much shorter than the normal time taken to do proper OV and/or EV
validation.

I have previously suggested 14 days for live certificates that don't cause
actual security issues.  This would be enough for most subscribers to either
get a reissued certificate (for free) from the original CA or set up an
account with a competing CA and get at least a basic OV cert.

On 10/08/2017 03:02, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> No objection to 72 hours v. 1 business day.  I agree it should be
> short and
> 72 hours seems perfectly reasonable .

Conformance with the BRs has been mandatory for over 5 years now.
> Customers need to be made aware of the failures of their chosen
> providers and the responsibilities incumbent upon them as subscribers,
> and if their own certificate installation/replacement processes are
> sufficiently archaic as to make it difficult to replace a certificate
> in an automated fashion then they should rectify that immediately.
>
> That said, to continue the thought experiment, what does "1-2 business
days"
> really mean?Does the CA get 1-2 business days followed by 1-2 for the
> customer? What if there's a holiday in the CA's country of operations
> followed by a holiday in the customer's home country? How quickly does
> this window extend to 2+ weeks? If you were to go down this path I'd
> strongly prefer it to be a hard deadline (e.g. 72 hours) and not
> anything related to business days.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  https://www.wisemo.com Transformervej
29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10 This public discussion