> On Oct 29, 2019, at 11:56 AM, James Burton <j...@0.me.uk> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 6:29 PM Paul Walsh <p...@metacert.com
> <mailto:p...@metacert.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 29, 2019, at 11:17 AM, James Burton <j...@0.me.uk
>> <mailto:j...@0.me.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I take the view that the articles on the CA Security Council website are a
>> form of marketing gimmick with no value whatsoever.
>
> [PW] More useless feedback that only serves to insult someone trying their
> best to add value. As I’ve said *over and over again*, if browser vendors did
> what I recommended in the article, my own company's flagship product would be
> rendered useless. If you call that “a form of marketing gimmick" you should
> probably avoid going into marketing.
>
> When I read the CA Security Council website around the two year mark, I found
> the content more directed toward the marketing end to help CAs promote
> expensive products such as extended validation certificates. My opinion on
> the matter hasn't changed. This isn't  throwing insults at each other, it's
> about improving web security and directing people to the wrong conclusions
> which the CA Security Council has done is bad for the improvement of web
> security.

[PW] I think EV is expensive, time consuming and complicated. I think some CAs
were, and continue to be overzealous in their marketing efforts by over selling
the benefits of EV from a browser UI perspective. I also think the verification
process can now be further improved with new blockchain-based KYC
tech/processes.

Some CAs are better than others - just like companies in every sector. I hope
you and others will see that I’m completely unbiased in my personal opinions. I
sit in the middle. And I hope people will find the time and energy to read my
words and not read in between the lines.

I have nothing against CAs making a lot of money when they add value. And I
think they can add massive value - but that value can only be derived by
browsers and other software applications that make use of their certs in a more
meaningful way in the future. We should be questioning browser vendors here,
not CAs. CAs are doing their bit for identity.

I’ve had many conversations with CAs over the past few months and their hearts
are in the right place. They are trying just like the rest of us, to add value
to society while generating revenue. Nothing is free. Either you pay for a
product or you are the product. We all know this.

Firefox still uses Google as the default search engine even though Google is
the least privacy-respecting search engine in the eyes of many. If Mozilla
could build a sustainable model that didn’t involve revenue from Google it
would probably consider using duckduckgo.com as it’s primary search engine.

Thanks for taking the time to say what you really think so we can get to the
heart of the problem. Perceptions are important. Let’s try to look beyond the
perceptions. I don’t trust Google’s motives, but I will take the time to read
what they say and question specifics, rather than tarnish them with a brush.

- Paul