I did not state the point well.  "Scary example" as I used it above was
merely because it was a reference to StartCom at all (given the history,
etc.) -- not particularly in the context of this practice.

I concur that I see no risk in leaf certificates issued with signatures
over public keys for which neither ownership or control of the
corresponding private key have been established.

I merely wished to add an example case to the discussion in which it was
presumably possible to have leaf certificates issued over a public key for
which the control of private key had not been proven.