I've always liked the idea of standu.ps with the IRC bot reporting.

Large tasks may become tricky with standups. AIUI you ping the
standups bot when you finish a task, but for long running tasks (large
PRs, etc) you can't do this so easily. With statusupdates I just add
an entry "worked more on X", with standups this might become
cluttered. But this is minor, and probably could be fixed by being
more descriptive of the subtasks.

Thanks,
-Manish Goregaokar