I'm not a Servo person, but...

I think hand-written updates are *much* better than auto-generated
updates, because you can put interesting context and background into
hand-written updates. (In my long experience at Mozilla I enjoy
reading hand-written updates of various kinds, but auto-generated ones
I invariable ignore.) They're a great way to communicate what you've
been doing to other people. They're also a good way to be aware of
your own progress and self-motivate, e.g. "that was a really
productive week" or "that was a crappy week, I'll try to do better
next week".

I also don't think a weekly update is onerous. I have a calendar
reminder which means I don't forget it. I have a text file in which I
write down things when I land them. I have a Bugzilla search that
finds patches I've landed in the past 7 days which I use to check if
I've forgotten to add anything to the text file. So when I go to
submit my update it's already 90% complete. The whole thing accounts
for maybe 10 minutes of effort a week. Maybe I'm a paragon of
organization and efficiency, but it really doesn't seem that hard. For
employees in particular, "keep your colleagues informed" is a basic
responsibility and this is an easy and effective way to do it.

As for moving to a different system -- are there any features that
Status Updates is missing? It's not a complicated thing. Does it need
more than a textbox and a "send" button?

Nick