-1 for removing it now.

The reasons have already been elaborated by folks here sufficiently (My team is
an example of using experimental API heavily so far. The ideal situation is of
course to already catch up with the latest features, like to use REST API. But
the reality is reality).

Let’s honor the sentimental versioning. It should not be something to be done
in 2.x.
And what’s the benefit of rushing to remove it in 2.9 or 2.10?

Regards,
XD