I've been profiling the web UI for the last few days and I think I've been
able to identify some of the issues. I've seen similar response times from
the webserver.
A couple of things that I found specifically for the task instance view are:
1. Page sizes on views are usually too large, and all HTML rendering is
done server side, flask_admin introduces some latency rendering the
templates for 500 TIs at a time in the TaskInstanceModelView, see [
AIRFLOW-1483 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-1483>]
2. Using unindexed column as default for ordering (required for paging),
triggering a sort on TI requests, e.g. TaskInstanceModelView uses `job_id`
as default sort column, but there's no index for that, see [AIRFLOW-1495
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-1495>]

Cheers,
Edgar