We will want to upgrade Markdown sooner or later anyway, so if the
pymdown-extensions looks best, we can try to work through the Markdown upgrade
first.  I tried a while ago in commit [27c46d] and ran into issues then too
though, so it would be some serious work.

That said, your extension seems like a good start.  We would need a complete
list of emoji and codes of course.  Maybe from the `emoji` package you
referenced earlier?  And this kind of thing would need a variety of tests to
make sure it works correctly (seems right in my manual testing).
`test_globals.py` has a lot of existing markdown tests.

---

** [tickets:#6923] Handle github emoji**

**Status:** in-progress
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Labels:** github import
**Created:** Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 PM UTC by Dave Brondsema
**Last Updated:** Wed Oct 17, 2018 07:29 AM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

Emoji (e.g. :+1: thumbs up) are heavily used on some GH projects and would be
good to carry over during import. However, the images are not licensed for us
to redistribute https://github.com/github/gemoji/blob/master/LICENSE  Maybe we
could use https://github.com/Genshin/PhantomOpenEmoji if the mapping is
straightforward.  We also need to decide if we want an emoji-like feature
throughout our markdown or handle this just at import.

---

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed
to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/

To unsubscribe from further messages, a project admin can change settings at
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/admin/tickets/options.  Or, if this is
a mailing list, you can unsubscribe from the mailing list.