From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:26 AM

> What I would like to see in antlibs, and that can be quite easily done
> IMHO, is to make it possible to add an 'autodownload' attribute that can
> get them from a repository, using Ruper, and versioning.
>
> Example:
>
>   <antlib name="ant-contrib" version="1.2+" autodownload="true"/>
>
> This would use the ruper task to get the antlib and load it.
>
> It would just need to have the Ruper task in Ant core.
>
> --
> Nicola Ken Barozzi                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I am searching for documentation about ruper. I found this
http://krysalis.org/cgi-bin/krywiki.pl?Ruper

I see that the ruper task depends on common-vfs. If we use Ruper for antlib,
which can be very good, then we are making ant core dependent upon
common-vfs.

Stefan Bodewig wrote :
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=104333061332642&w=2
>Ant must be able to bootstrap itself without any additional libraries
>(apart from an XML parser) is a long-standing requirement for Ant.  As
>using <jar> is part of the bootstrap process and <jar> requires the
>zip classes, we have a problem here, that may be solvable by some CVS
>tricks.

I have not studied what is there in common-vfs, nor what are the
dependencies of common-vfs itself. If common-vfs can help us solve more
elegantly all the problems we have (such as the old bug 10755, and now some
open issues with ftp) accessing resources, and can help ant manipulate with
more ease resources (VCS repository entries, FTP or HTTP urls, file system
files, zip entries, ...), it might be a good idea.

This [ adding new dependencies other than the XML parser ] to ant would
require a specific vote outside of or parallel to the antlib discussion.

Antoine