Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote, On 22/04/2003 9.50:
I am searching for documentation about ruper. I found this
http://krysalis.org/cgi-bin/krywiki.pl?Ruper

I see that the ruper task depends on common-vfs. If we use Ruper for antlib,
which can be very good, then we are making ant core dependent upon
common-vfs.

Stefan Bodewig wrote :
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=104333061332642&w=2

Hmmm, you are right.

Ant must be able to bootstrap itself without any additional libraries
(apart from an XML parser) is a long-standing requirement for Ant. As
using <jar> is part of the bootstrap process and <jar> requires the
zip classes, we have a problem here, that may be solvable by some CVS
tricks.

I have not studied what is there in common-vfs, nor what are the dependencies of common-vfs itself. If common-vfs can help us solve more elegantly all the problems we have (such as the old bug 10755, and now some open issues with ftp) accessing resources, and can help ant manipulate with more ease resources (VCS repository entries, FTP or HTTP urls, file system files, zip entries, ...), it might be a good idea.

This [ adding new dependencies other than the XML parser ] to ant would
require a specific vote outside of or parallel to the antlib discussion.

Yes. I guess that for antlib anyone would say ok to it, but it's more about a question of putting Ruper in Ant, and alongside, also commons-vfs.

Here is the build sequence that is needed for ruper, taken from the latest Gump descriptors. It's very bad WRT the above points :-/

**** NOTE TO KRYSALIS DEVS ****
I guess we'll have to make ruper depend *optionally* on commons-vfs, and failback to simple http get if that is not present. So Ant would depend on ruper-light, that is wothout the commons-vfs stuff. Good catch.
********************************

 ----- Build sequence for krysalis-ruper -----

  bootstrap-ant
  xml-crimson