On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Amol Kekre <a...@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> I am -1 on option 2. There is no need to do so, as going back on versions
> at this stage has consequences to Apex users.
>
> I am for option 1, but I want to propose explicit change to the text. Based
> on verbatim text, I am voting -1 on option 1. I believe in the original
> discussion thread there was talk about continuing release-3 that should be
> explicit in the vote.

The branch is assumed to be release-3, there wasn't any objection during
discussion.
Branch names are not important for this vote, branches can be created as
the need arises.

> option 3 (modified option 1)
> 3. Version 4.0 as major version change from 3.x. Community members can
> continue with release-3 (3.9, 3.10, ...). PR merges into release-3 should
> not be blocked if it is not immediately merged into master branch.

Any number of minor releases of previous major version can be created
or maintained by those willing to do so, that's standard stuff and can be
discussed in a separate thread.

> Over a longer period of time, I expect code to progressively be in version
> 4. Changing package names is usually not a reason for major version
> upgrade. The cause is usually an API change. Currently we are moving to
> version 4, without an ask for API change.

Again it is established development process that changes need to go to
master
and can be applied to other branches as deemed necessary by those
interested.
Same situation as for patch releases of past minor release.

IMO we cannot add options after a vote was started.

Use a discussion thread to clarify understanding of what constitutes "API"
and the reality of backward compatibility in Malhar as of today.

Thanks,
Thomas