That describes the 'token' use case, right?  While MMX operands let the
clib devs play with 16-byte/dword/word units, we are principally looking at
very short strings.  As soon as you do a 16 byte compare w/delimiting the
null byte, your optimization is lost.

I think we are of one mind on this, sniping aside.  I started with an svn
cp today from asf subversion, and chose to focus on only the svn_cstring_
(excluding svn_string and svn_stringbuf ops), but there is room if we give
the nod and should treat them as 3 seperate groupings.  First commit
inbound in the morning with lots of room for optimization.